Readings June 27th

1 Kings 19:15-16,19-21
Galatians 5:1,13-25
Luke 9:51-62

On first looking, the link between these 3 readings seems to be yokes & ploughing (or plowing, as our US friends would have it): but of course in each reading this is used as a metaphor for discipleship. This links quite well with what I was saying last week - but one of the small frustrations of being in 4 churches is that I am at the 'other' 2 churches this week, and they won't have heard the sermon for June 20th. Still. it keeps the preacher humble!

I am struck by the all or nothing nature of following God's way - Elisha demonstrates this perfectly by slaughtering the oxen with which he had been ploughing. I wonder what his parents thought? Not only is he saying he won't return, he's assuming the land will now just fall into misuse - or maybe be sold off - no-one else will need his plough either!
It's scary stuff, this following God's way - no dipping your toe in the water, or wondering how life would be if you made different choices.

Comments

Lythan said…
Oooh liking that thought about what happens to the animals. Thanks!
BTW I once did a joint service at the end of a series with my two churches where I did a quiz on what we had learnt over the last 4 weeks, knowing that at least one lot had heard the information. Baaaaaad mistake....
Ruth said…
Yes, I realised when I started teaching why teachers are always grumpy about test results: it's because you realise how little has gone in! I draw comfort from the fact that although I remember very little about most sermons I have heard, the worship touched me at the time, and I remember the people who preached. Tho come to think of it, that's quite scary, too!

Popular posts from this blog

Faith and Guidance

Abraham and Isaac - a good question!

Epiphany 2: Nathanael... & Jacob