Antiphonal reading of Romans

So, to try to help people grasp the wrestling that Paul is doing in this reading, I thought I'd try reading it antiphonally - some bits all together, and then the other parts with half the congregation saying one part and the other responding with 'but...'

Like this:

Romans 7: 15-25
All: I do not understand my own actions.

For I do not do what I want,
but I do the very thing I hate.
Now if I do what I do not want, I agree that the law is good.
But in fact it is no longer I that do it,
but sin that dwells within me.

For I know that nothing good dwells within me, that is, in my flesh.
I can will what is right,
but I cannot do it.
For I do not do the good I want,
but the evil I do not want is what I do.
Now if I do what I do not want, it is no longer I that do it,
but sin that dwells within me.
All So I find it to be a law that when I want to do what is good, evil lies close at hand.

For I delight in the law of God in my inmost self,
but I see in my members another law at war with the law of my mind, making me captive to the law of sin that dwells in my members.

All: Wretch that I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Faith and Guidance

Abraham and Isaac - a good question!

Spring IS coming!