May 17th

Lectionary readings are:

Acts 10:44-48
1 John 5:1-6
John 15:9-17

My first thoughts are that these are very similar readings to last week's - Acts deals with conversion and adult baptism; John's letter talks of love for God the Father, jesus the Son & our brothers and sisters in Christ; and in John's gospel Jesus continues to talk about abiding in Him & loving one another.
It might seem very basic but I'm wondering about focussing on what it means to love God. Why would God need our love anyway? What can we give God that God does not already have? What difference does it make to our lives to love God?
Think I need time to think about this!

Comments

Susan Otey said…
When I think about why we need to love God, who does not seem to need our love, I think about my need to love God. Loving God gives me a basis for the other relationships in my life and helps me understand unconditional love. It also helps me to think of love as an action rather than an emotion. If I love God, how will I show that. Since God is not here for me to show my love in the ways I might think of with my family.
Ruth said…
Yes, thanks for this - I think you're right that we NEED to love God - for our own sense of balance & purpose. And I take your point that we can act out our love for God in the way we treat others... as John's etter was saying last week 'How can we say we love God who we do not see if we do not love our brother/sister we can see' (or words ot that effect!

Popular posts from this blog

Faith and Guidance

Abraham and Isaac - a good question!

Epiphany 2: Nathanael... & Jacob